How to prepare for your Brazilian wax appointment
Important: Waxing cannot be performed under the following health conditions:
- Diabetes or cancer
- HSV2 (Genital Herpes)
- If you have used Retin-A, Adapalene, Isotretinoin, Clindamycin, Tazarotene, Acitretin, Bexarotene,
Alitretinoin, Fluocinolone/Hydroquonine/Tretinoin in the last 6 weeks
- If you’ve been on Accutane in the last 6 months
- If you are currently undergoing any chemical peels, dermabrasion, facial surgery or laser
treatment, we need a doctor’s release
- If you are currently using over-the-counter glycolic acids, salicylic acids, alpha hydroxy acids,
benzoic acids or benzoyl peroxide stop 72 hours before your hair removal service.
- If you’ve had recent surgery near or in the area to be waxed, please bring a doctor’s release
- If you’ve had sun exposure (including tanning beds) in the last 24 hours
- Stop shaving at least 2 weeks before your appointment. Your hair needs to be about a minimum of 1/2″ in length and lying down parallel to your skin. If it’s stubble, it’s too short. This would be a good time to call Brazilian Sexy Wax to make your wax appointment. To get the day and time you want, please book 1 week in advance if possible.
- If you don’t shave at all and the hair is fully grown out, please take a pair of scissors and trim the area back to about an 1″. DO NOT USE CLIPPERS! Most clients get their hair too short with clippers and we can’t wax them.
- The day before and morning of your Brazilian, please exfoliate the area to be waxed. If you’ve worked out, you need at least a half hour for your skin to cool down before your wax appointment. We provide wipes to clean the area before waxing.
- High acidity in your body can make your skin more sensitive. Refrain from caffeine and alcohol at least 3 hours before your wax. Drink lots of water and take an antacid about 20 minutes before your wax. It can reduce the acid in your system, thus reducing your sensitivity.
- Take a pain reliever, acetaminophen is recommended over ibuprofen, one hour before your wax appointment to help ease discomfort. If you would like to use a numbing cream you can purchase one from us. Come in early and apply 30 minutes before your wax.
What to Expect at the Appointment:
- In the room, there’s a massage table covered with a clean sheet and fresh wax paper.
- You will be instructed to remove your clothing from the waist down. Many women wear loose dresses so they just need to lift the dress to their hips. If you wear pants, we suggest you wear a loose fitting pair for comfort after your wax. We leave a towel on the facial table to cover yours hips. We then leave the room to give you privacy to get ready.
- After the esthetician re-enters the room, she will put on gloves and remove the towel. Your esthetician will then discuss what you want exactly (i.e. “landing strip”, front only, etc.)
- Your esthetician will then apply a small strip of warm wax to the groin area. They will place one hand on your skin to hold it taut and pull in the opposite direction to remove the hair. This step is repeated throughout the pubic area until all of the hair is removed from the genitals. If soft wax is being used, a paper strip will be applied after the wax, then pulled off using a similar technique to the hard wax. WE DO NOT DOUBLE DIP!
- The front area will then be cleaned with a wax remover and a soothing after-wax lotion will be applied. Note: We use various wax oils to clean off excess wax.. Please alert your esthetician if you are allergic to any of the oils being used.
- The backside (anus area) is included in the full Brazilian. The backside area is the quickest area to wax and has the least amount of discomfort. Typically you will be placed comfortably on your side for this part of the service. Usually, it only takes one to two strips on each side of the anus to remove the hair from that area.
- The backside area will be cleaned and a soothing wax lotion applied. You are done and ready to be your Brazilian sexy self!
Post Waxing Care Suggestions:
Don’t touch. Even though you love the feeling of your smooth hair-free results, try not to touch. Fingers will put oil and bacteria on the skin, making it more susceptible to infection after removing the hair follicle.
Refrain from sexual activities. Yes, you will feel sexy after a Brazilian wax, but the hair follicles are open to bacteria and need 24 hours to heal.
Exfoliate. Lightly exfoliate 3 days after your wax to remove dead skin build up. Use exfoliating gloves, loofahs or mild scrubs. Look for gentle cleansers that use Salicylic Acid. This acid not only exfoliates but is also anti-bacterial. I retail a couple of great products to help eliminate ingrown hairs and lighten discoloration of the skin. It’s not advisable to exfoliate daily after your wax as this can cause dry skin and sensitivity. A couple of times a week is sufficient.
Don’t exercise and avoid salt water. Doing anything that is going to make you sweat a lot that day should be avoided. On the second day after waxing, avoid any friction movements like running or cycling. The friction can cause major irritation in the groin area. Light exercise activities are ok. Also, if going to the beach the next day, avoid the salt water as it will cause burning, i.e.”pouring salt on a wound”.
Beware of spa activities. Stay away from pedicures if you had a leg wax, and saunas and whirlpools with any type of waxing for the next two days. If you had body waxing, stick to a warm (not hot) shower rather than a bath for 24 hours. Wait 24 hours before using a tanning bed before and after a wax. Same goes for spray on tans.
Tight isn’t good. Stay clear of tight clothing where you had the waxing for the next few days.
Don’t even think of popping! If you do get a pimple, resist the urge to pop it as this spreads bacteria and can encourage more pimples. Instead, apply a tiny bit of tea tree oil, or your other favorite pimple-killing product. If a rash appears, apply an antihistamine cream such as Benadryl.
Stay moisturized. Keep your skin moisturized. This will not only keep your skin soft, but will soften the hair growing in and help keep it from boring back into the skin creating ingrown hairs.
Avoid powder. Applying power right after a wax can clog up the hair follicles and create an infection. Wait 24 hours before applying any kind of powder or talc.
I strive to make your wax experience as comfortable as possible while focusing on the most successful outcome possible.